Thursday 6 June 2013

What's with the name: Cheruthon?

Here I'd like to tell you about the name of this blog Cheruthon. Well to put it simple that's my name.

I have seen a lot of people finding it difficult to get an email address/ website etc with their name but that never happens to me because of my family's unique name.

Many have asked me what it means and many think it's the name of a place, well I'm about to explain it now in case you were wondering.

My ancestors moved to a place called Maramon, a small town on the banks of the river Pamba, when a dam was built near their previous settlement and turned it into a catchment area. So when the dam was built the settlement of my ancestors became a land of relatively lower altitude and thus water began to accumulate there. "Chera" is the Malayalam term for dam and "Thaane" means lower. Hence the new settlers of the land who arrived because the Chera Thaane their land were called Cherathaane which over the years evolved to Cheruthon.

No comments:

Post a Comment